I am all jittery, and edgy, and my hands are shaking, and I am all worked up for no legit reason. I was trying to work out why I was feeling like this, did I just need to write? Am I stressed about something? Yes and no. I know what the culprit is. Coffee. In particular the 4 cups of coffee I have drunk today. And I want more. This is not good. This is my new addiction.
I started drinking coffee late in life, around 34. I know right!? How did I avoid it for this long!? To be honest, I never liked the taste. I always had to add sugar to it to make it taste any good, and I never really gave it a good go for years because I like to avoid ingesting too much sugar. Well not anymore.
One thing since giving up drinking, I have never drank so much coffee in all my life. Perhaps it is the buzz that I crave? I really am not sure, but now I love the taste, and habitually enjoy my morning cups of coffee. However I do not enjoy the jittery panicky nerve wrecking results. I know I have to do something about it.
I used to only drink herbal teas. What a saint right? I really did enjoy all different types of herbal tea, from peppermint to liquorice to orange and cinnamon. I was more than satisfied by this natural herbal goodness. I do not even remember how I got started drinking coffee, but now I prefer it. I do not however enjoy the consequences!
I think some people are more sensitive than others when it comes to coffee. Some people can drink coffee right before bed and sleep like a baby, a very good baby, that doesn’t wake up. More like a greyhound maybe. They sleep 23 hours right? Well the retired ones do…Anyhow, I digress… my point is, I am not like some people, I am me. And this little me goes crazy after drinking INSTANT coffee. Good ole Moccona with a hint of Vanilla is my current predilection; and it tastes oh so good. I have to add a little sugar to take the edge off it though, but yes, oh yes it tastes good. I can’t drink cafe coffee. It is way too strong. So I am like a reverse coffee snob. Like a coffee bogan maybe? Whatever I am, I really should not drink coffee at all!
Here are some positives for drinking coffee:
- It gives you a kick, even if sometimes that kick, can kick you almost out of your body… ok this is more negative.
- It tastes good; once it has a few sugars… maybe more negative.
- Um… everyone else is doing it? Not the best reason for doing any thing really.
- Shit I can not think of one positive reason for drinking coffee.
- Nope, still nothing.
Here are some negatives for drinking coffee:
- It makes me crazy. This is not good.
- I get all hyped up and want to jump out off my skin, if that was even possible.
- It stains your teeth.
- You need to add loads of sugar to coffee to make it taste any good.
- It is very addictive.
- Buying coffee out, which I don’t because that would make me even more nuts in my head, can become a costly habit. Say you buy 2 coffees a day. That’s about $50 a week if you drink it most days give or take. That’s about $2’500 a year. In 10 years that’s $25’000. Okay that’s convincing. Give up coffee, buy a new car.
When you have an addictive personality type, aka moi, then one addiction can be replaced by another. I seem to have replaced booze with coffee. Ouch. So I think I need to totally work on removing this one from my life.
How do you go with coffee? Have you ever taken a break from coffee and feel better for it? I would love to hear from you about your love/hate for coffee.