‘Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.’ -Theodore Roosevelt
2017 has come in with full force. A new year gives us all a chance to reinvent ourselves. For some reason, the start of a new year makes us fell like we can clear the slate once again, start fresh, let go, and give up some things which are not serving us. I welcome the feel of this new energy, and always love an opportunity to reinvigorate my perspective on life.
Recently I have been pondering life and wondering how I can make it more meaningful. Meaning and purpose in our lives is crucial, or we feel like we are just floating along, and what is the point of all this anyway? Big thoughts I know. Really none of us can answer that but I am certainly feeling some traction on certain concepts I was previously resisting.
Here are some thoughts that may help to serve us to have a newer and better year:
- Don’t put up with bullshit. Too many of us tolerate some pretty negative and shitty situations. Please stop. Do it for the love of life! Make those changes your heart wants you to make.
- Have the courage to do what you have always wanted to do. If you are not sure what this could be, spend some time journalling, create a vision board, and have some quiet contemplative time to really work out where is your focus for the year.
- Get rid of all the things, people, stuff, holding you back. A good de-cluttering should help this problem. Go through your things and throw stuff out, give things away, and have a good clean up. We all have way too much stuff.
- Listen to your instincts, your gut feel, and follow through on making changes. Just do it, feel the fear and do it anyway. There is no time like the present.
- Honour yourself, your time, your space, your body. You deserve to be loved and cherished.
- Speak your mind.
- Face your fears and do the one thing that scares you the most.
- Shake up your routine and try something new.
- Be okay with your own company.
- Enjoy some down time, some quiet time, to reflect, process and understand what it is you really need or want in life.
- Be strong and courageous.
- Say yes more.
- Be flexible.
- Do things that make your heart sing.
- Connect with your loved ones.
- Give more hugs. Hugs are so important. Human touch is undervalued, and is so important to maintain our wellbeing.
- Be creative, draw, paint, colour, dance, sing, design, photograph, write, express yourself in your own unique way. Display your creations in your home or give them away as gifts.
- Surround yourself with things you love.
- Don’t put up with a bad situation. Do something about it!
- Life is too short to dwell on the negatives, please stop complaining, especially about your health. Generally we all have it pretty damn good!
- Be positive and motivated and enthusiastic. If not why not?
- Eat healthy, go to bed early, rise early and do that exercise you have been promising your body, you will not regret feeling healthier.
These are reminders for myself and for you my fellow readers. We generally all know these things, but somehow forget during the course of living, distractions and busyness.
I can already feel like this year will be different. January always feels like this, full of potential. Full of optimism. If you are not feeling excited about your life, then slap, do something about it for goodness sake!! Life is too short to be unhappy, and to feel crap about our lives. Sometimes, life can deal us a blow, but we have to resist the urge to wallow in self pity, keep on keeping on. Every day is a new day and a chance to make a difference, to enjoy our lives and make the most of our time on this earth.
This morning I went to a really good yoga class at the beach with some friends, then had a swim and a walk. It was lovely. At the end of the class, in the meditation section, I felt calm and grounded, and soon felt my Mum’s beautiful soft energy around me, she had come to visit me. I felt her loving care around me, as tears once again streamed down my cheeks. Her love for me was very powerful, and I could feel it so strong. Her energy is soft, and generous and light and loving, and so comforting. I had not felt her around me for awhile, even though I know she is there in the back ground a lot. It was really nice to feel connected to her again, it will keep me going again, although it makes me cry, it makes me happy.
Wishing you a fantastic year ahead. What resolutions have you made? What are your intentions? What are your exciting plans? Give yourself some time to plan, to think, and to create a fun year ahead for yourself.
‘The secret to living the life of your dreams is to start living the life of your dreams today, in every little way you possibly can.’ -Mike Dooley